SCIENCE!!25 Jun 2010
This is one of those blog posts that I’m only making because it didn’t fit in 140 characters. So, I went to the “Way Late Play Date” at the
Cumberland Science Museum Adventure Science Center. It was fun. A few thoughts, though:
- I thought serving food was dumb. It wasn’t really even food – it was chips, salsa, veggies, fruit and cheese. Hardly worth wasting your time grazing on, and it encouraged people to sit down, wasting valuable time that could have been better spent on SCIENCE!!
- Either ditch the booze entirely or beef it up a little. They only had beer (as far as I know?), and some people don’t drink beer. The staff also had obviously never poured a beer from a keg in their entire life, resulting in cups of foam and awkward “yyyyyeah, could you do this again?” type conversations.
- The Sudekum planetarium is pretty amazing since its revamp in 2003 or whenever. The last time I saw it was in 6th grade, and it’s come a long way – although I do not approve of getting rid of the full arcade version of Lunar Lander they used to have. I do not approve of this AT ALL.
- If you didn’t do the planetarium show, however, and feel like you missed out on something, don’t worry: you didn’t, really. It was a brief tour of the astronomy capabilities (which are amazing and awesome) and then a couple of commercials and two stupid laser shows (which were not amazing or awesome). I will never really understand the appeal of a laser show. I guess I could sortof see the appeal, if I were on acid. and 14. and .. stupid. and had terrible taste in music. Plus doing it in a cool facility like that planetarium – I dunno. It’s kindof like building a world-class stage theatre and then instead of doing Beckett and Shakespeare and stuff, you make shadow puppets on the wall and drool on yourself. More astronomy, less Floyd.
- UPDATE: Lastly, I forgot to mention: the Skies over Nashville show does actually sound really cool – and they should do these shows (and more) on a schedule that is more adult-friendly as well.